Monday, January 12, 2009

fiftynine



I went to the cinema to see Che (Part 1) the other day with Alex.
It wasn't brilliant but it wasn't really bad either. We discussed it afterwards and agreed that we didn't really get a good feel for the characters - such a long movie could surely had dwelled more on getting to know a few of the people a bit better. Since we didn't get to know them we didn't get that heart crunching feeling you would expect when someone dies or get hurt. It was more like factual. Like ok so someone dies and we didn't even know his name. It's very rushed and dwells too long on the discussions in the UN without actually telling the whole story.
I was disappointed because I would have expected more of a story (it has to be said again) from such a long film - so long it has to be divided in two parts!
It was interesting though to see the discussions in the UN and the interview a journalist did with Che. I can't say I was really bored but it seemed to dwell on and repeat some really unnecessary things - like walking through the jungle - more walking - more walking and then some sitting around in the jungle eating and drinking.
I was thinking that maybe the director didn't want us to sympatise with Che or his men and was afraid of making some statement. He might have wanted to tell the story from a non judging point of view. That's all fine but the truth is that a film where you don't feel sympathy for anyone becomes flat and uninteresting.

So my judgement on the film was that for being so long (again) it had very little contents and it was a bit flat. I still want to see Part 2 when it comes out though because I really do feel like I only got half the story... time will tell if I'll feel differently after seeing the last part.

/Hannah

No comments: